Tacos can be a wonderfully healthful way to eat fish.
Gluten-free Fish Tacos
- Juice of one lime.
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon honey.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded (6-8 cups).
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
- 24 oz white fish (cod, tilapia, etc).
- Cumin to taste (about 1/2 tsp).
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each).
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt.
- 3-4 teaspoons milk or milk substitute.
- 15-20 dashes of chipotle Tabasco.
- One large avocado, cut into thin slices.
- 10 corn tortillas.
1. Preheat oven to 375. Combine shredded cabbage and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir together lime juice, garlic, olive oil, cumin, honey, and salt in a small bowl. Pour over cabbage and cilantro, toss to mix.
2. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay fish onto prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with cumin, salt, and pepper. Bake about 15 minutes (more for thicker fish), or until fish flakes with a fork and internal temperature reaches 145F. Wrap corn tortillas in foil, and place in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of baking time.
3. Combine yogurt, milk, and Tabasco in a small bowl.
4. To serve, break cooked fish into chunks, place on warm tortilla. Top with avocado and cabbage mixture, drizzle with creamy chipotle sauce.
Serving size: 1
Yield: 10 servings
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Protein 15.4 g
Total fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 18.6 g
Saturated fat .6 g
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
Cholesterol 30.1 mg
Sodium 161 mg